Family Vacation... Yipee!!

I don't know why they say you can never go home again. I just did, and it was fabulous!! I took my own family to the place where I grew up - The Florida Keys.
FL Keys Trip 018.1
It's the place where I earned the title of "Conch," where I learned to swim at nine months old and learned to deep sea fish with my grandfather and catch dolphin. (if you've been there, you know I'm not talking about Flipper) It's the place where I combed the beach for hermit crabs, let my toes get nibbled on by minnows and wore an almost constant crust of salt from the dried sea water on my skin. Oddly enough it's also the place where I developed my passion for horses and rode mine on the beach whenever the chance presented itself.

At the time, I hated the place. But in retrospect, I had a magical childhood. How many people can say they watched the 4th of July fireworks from their boat EVERY year, rode a school bus over at least a dozen bridges every day just to get to school, caught lobster and snapper (with hot dogs) under their dock for dinner and woke up every morning in a place most people long to go for vacation? Well, I can. And I was so happy to finally take my daughter and husband there.

Travel along with us, and I hope you enjoy the pictures.
FL Keys Trip 018
This vacation was a family affair. I still have aunts, uncles, cousin and grandparents all still living in Marathon, and my sisters were also both joining me for this trip! But before they arrived, Ben, Georgia and I took a trip down to Key West.
Untitled-2
FL Keys Trip 038
FL Keys Trip 046
Ernest Hemingway's former home:
FL Keys Trip 092
And the descendants of his six-toed cats:
FL Keys Trip 067
Yes, she kissed one. She's into kisses right now.
Untitled-1
Coloring and daddy kisses while we wait for a yummy lunch of conch cerviche and grouper sandwiches! (OK, so Georgia had chicken fingers)
FL Keys Trip 023
Picture overload yet? Oh just wait, this is just the beginning!!

We spent great time with family and added great new memories to the vault.
Untitled-8
Georgia even got some "sharing" lessons from her cousins. (the girl does NOT like to share her crayons!)
Untitled-12
And Georgia LOVES airplanes right now and guess where the flight path is for the local airport... right over my grandparents' home. Heaven for Georgia! She watched them land and then flew just like them.
Untitled-7
Florida is all about its beaches, right? We hit three different ones while we were there. Here ya go:

Sombrero Beach:

Aunt Jodi took Georgia into the water. She loved the water but hated kids wearing snorkel masks. Go figure.
Untitled-6
Jodi's dog Tom joined us too.
FL Keys Trip 126

Bahia Honda State Park:

Untitled-11
Here's Georgia's cousin Emily in one of those dreaded masks!
Untitled-10
And there's an awesome, old bridge right next to the beach.
Untitled-9

Coco Plum Beach:

This beach is a little on the natural and wild side, which is why I love it.
Untitled-16
Untitled-14
More flying:
Untitled-13
FL Keys Trip 304-2
So much exploring to do!
Untitled-15
Home sweet home, we loved you.
FL Keys Trip 350

Rebekah Lynn  – (June 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM)  

Looks like a great trip! It's been quite a few years since I've been down there but we're hoping to go next Summer for a family vaca!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP