June 17, 2010 - The Gift

When I was a baby, my mother made sure I had all these little baby treasures I could look back on one day and smile. Smile at their tiny, delicate size, smile about the time in my life they represent, smile about their tradition and their age. There was the silver baby bowl with matching cup, the baby spoon, the delicate gold bracelet just big enough for a baby's wrist, the gold infant necklace, the bronzed baby shoes and other little trinkets that represent that moment in time.

Georgia has almost none of these things, save two. And I have my late mother to thank for those. She bought them for Georgia months before Georgia was born and my mother passed away - the baby bracelet and necklace.

Today, I finally brought myself to put the bracelet on Georgia's rotund, beautiful baby wrist for the first time.


06.17.10 055

I could try to explain why I've waited this long, but really, I don't think I could. It just is.

And she seemed at once oblivious to it and curious about it.

06.17.10 059

My how she is beautiful with an intelligence that leaves me without words.

06.17.10 071-2

willnerin  – (June 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM)  

Hi there. My name is Erin and I follow your blog through Google Reader. I think I found you on The Bump photography board some time ago. I just wanted to tell you that your daughter is absolutely beautiful. It is obvious through your writing just how much you adore her. I am a new mother myself. My daughter Bella Kate is almost 10 months old. This post hit close to home for me because my mother recently passed away and I find myself clinging to the few memories we were able to make with my mother and my daughter together. My mom gave my daughter a Lambchop puppet before she was born and I just recently got it out to play with. I know this all sounds strange coming from an internet stranger but I just related to your post and thought you would want to hear that you aren't alone. Thanks for sharing your sweet girl.

Jaime O.  – (June 25, 2010 at 12:38 AM)  

Thank you Erin for your comment. It's funny (although that's really not the right word) what things we cling to in memories of a lost one so dear. My list is quite long as of late, much longer than the few things I mention on this blog. But each is a reminder of a memory I hold so dear of my mother, as I'm sure you understand well. Thanks for reaching out and no, none of it sounds strange. It's amazing how much it can help knowing you're not the only one out there going through this, isn't it?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP